Preserving Staten's Island's Great Outdoors

Posts Tagged ‘girl scouts’

When High Rock Park was home

Stone house headquarters of the Greenbelt Conservancy in High Rock Park Staten Island

By DOROTHY REILLY In 1912, what we now know as High Rock Park, was comprised of several privately owned parcels of land. The Tonking family purchased 12 acres to establish a poultry business they called “Mayroyd Farm.” Other parts of Staten Island’s central highlands were owned by the Vanderbilt, Walker and Ebbit families. In 1921,…

Read More